It all comes down to this one. In 2019, Marvel will unleash Avengers: Endgame, the sequel to Avengers: Infinity War that will decide the fate of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While Infinity War was a massive undertaking, it was just the takeoff. Avengers: Endgame will reveal if Marvel sticks the landing.
With the film deep into post-production, here’s everything we know so far about Avengers: Endgame.
Set after the events of Infinity War, the next Avengers film will reunite the Avengers, plus newcomers like Captain Marvel, Rocket, and Ant-Man, as they work together to save the universe from total annihilation. The film is the next to last confirmed Marvel film from Marvel Studios, with Spider-Man: Far From Home set for release in July 2019. It is not known specifically what films Marvel will release after that, other than a sequel to Black Panther, an Eternals movie, and a Shang-Chi movie are in very early pre-production stages.
Also, it goes without saying but: Spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War ahead.
Where is the trailer for Avengers: Endgame?
The trailer was officially released on the early morning of December 7. You can watch it now in the embedded video at the top of this page.
When is Avengers: Endgame in theaters?
The movie will be released in theaters on April 26, 2019, once again reflecting a similar early release date like Avengers: Infinity War.
What Avengers 4 called? It just can’t be Avengers 4.
The film is officially titled Avengers: Endgame, which reflects a cryptic line of dialogue spoken by Doctor Strange at the end of Avengers: Infinity War.
“We’re in the end game now,” Strange told Tony Stark before disappearing.
Where is the poster for Avengers: Endgame?
Marvel tweeted the official poster for Avengers: Endgame the morning the trailer was released, which you can see below.
What is the plot of Avengers: Endgame?
The film will pick up where Avengers: Infinity War left off, in which Marvel’s surviving heroes must band together to prevent another catastrophe.
A plot synopsis was unveiled in a May 2018 issue of marketing magazine License Global, which published the following synopsis:
“A culmination of 22 interconnected films, the fourth installment of the Avengers saga will draw audiences to witness the turning point of this epic journey. Our beloved heroes will truly understand how fragile this reality is and the sacrifices that must be made to uphold it.”
What’s this about Avengers: Endgame and time travel?
Fans are convinced time travel will play a key role in the story of Avengers: Endgame.
First, the existence of the Time Stone — introduced in 2016’s Doctor Strange — means the Avengers (and Thanos) are capable of manipulating time. There is also BARF, the hilariously-named, mega-advanced AR device that recreates memories. Built by Tony Stark, BARF was demoed to fictional MIT students in the opening of Captain America: Civil War.
Much of the time travel speculation began in May 2018, when paparazzi photos revealed several Avengers stars wearing old costumes from 2012’s The Avengers, which hints Avengers: Endgame will revisit key events in MCU history.
Who is starring in Avengers: Endgame?
Expect every one of your favorites from Marvel to return in Avengers: Endgame — at least, those who appeared in Avengers: Infinity War. Even if they’re just a pile of dust. Tom Hiddleston remains coy on the return of Loki, who was killed by Thanos but has a solo TV series in the works for Disney+.
Even Zoe Saldana’s Gamora, who actually died in the movie pre-Infinity Gauntlet snap, will return. In September 2017, Saldana appeared alongside her cast and crew on the set of Avengers: Endgame in an Instagram video to encourage Red Cross donations for victims of Hurricane Harvey.
OK then, who is new to Avengers: Endgame?
Now that’s a question. Avengers 4 will spotlight several new characters who weren’t present in Avengers: Infinity War. They include:
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye: The MIA bow-wielding Avenger wears a black hooded costume similar to his other superhero identity, Ronin.
- Paul Rudd as Ant-Man: The smallest biggest hero is currently floating in the Quantum Realm and is expected to be rescued in order to join the other Avengers in their final effort against Thanos.
- Evangeline Lily as The Wasp: Although erased out of existence, The Wasp will find some way to return from the dead to fight Thanos with Evangeline Lily reprising her role.
- Brie Larson as Captain Marvel: Nick Fury called. Carol Danvers answered. After the post-credits scene of Infinity War and her film debut in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers will clash fists with Thanos in Endgame.
- Frank Grillo as Crossbones: Although Grillo’s Marvel villain died at the hands of Scarlet Witch in Captain America: Civil War, Grillo confirmed his return in Endgame in a really casual interview with UFC Unfiltered in late October 2017.
- Hiroyuki Sanada as ???: Japanese actor Hiroyuki Sanada has an undisclosed role in Avengers 4. Acting since the age of six, Sanada made two appearances in Super Sentai (the Japanese forerunner to Power Rangers) before appearing in Hollywood films like The Last Samurai, Speed Racer, The Wolverine, and, uh, Minions. He recently played Musashi in HBO’s Westworld and is currently filming John Wick: Chapter 3.
- Katherine Langford as ???: The Australian star who appeared in Love, Simon will appear in Endgame. Could she be a future version of Cassie Lang? Back in April, the IMDB page of another actor, Emma Fuhrmann, briefly included credit as “Cassie Lang” for Endgame. While Fuhrmann’s IMDB no longer lists Endgame, Langford was confirmed for the movie by TheWrap in late October. Although aged five years apart, both actors are young brunette women who could play an older Cassie Lang should the Avengers explore a future timeline. In the comics, Cassie grows up and becomes her own superhero, adopting names such as Stature and Stinger.
Are the Netflix heroes appearing in Endgame?
What else should we know about Avengers: Endgame?
And while he may not actually appear in the film, Marvel is producing a Shang-Chi movie. Perhaps there will be an Easter egg to Shang-Chi, as this is a Marvel movie after all.
Will there be a post-credits scene?
Of course there will be a post-credits scene. But it’s anyone’s guess what is to come in the MCU.
Once again, @DanielRPK tweeted on November 24 that the post-credits scene could potentially tease the Eternals, an acknowledged but still in-development sci-fi film featuring the Marvel characters of the same name.
“The two Eternals are ‘Karen’ and Piper/Sprite,” Daniel tweeted. “They will most likely show up in a cosmic Marvel movie so either Captain Marvel or Avengers 4. A4 is more likely.”
We’d definitely treat this claim with a grain of salt, at least for now. Endgame is pretty much guaranteed to feature some sort of post-credits scene, but we have no idea what that will be. The next phase of the MCU is mostly a mystery, though we do know that Spider-Man will return for Far From Home in summer 2019. There’s also another Black Panther movie in the works and, of course, Eternals.
Then again, maybe Marvel will use the Endgame post-credits to tease something totally unexpected. Or maybe we’ll get a taste of the studios plans to reintegrate the X-Men and Fantastic Four. We’ll just have to wait and find out.
Where can I rewatch Avengers: Infinity War?
Short of buying the film on Blu-ray and DVD and digital retailers like iTunes, Vudu, and Google, the film will begin streaming on Netflix on December 25. Merry Christmas! Enjoy watching your favorite Marvel heroes die again.
Avengers: Endgame premieres in theaters on April 26.