It’s almost here. On April 26, Marvel will release Avengers: Endgame, the sequel to Avengers: Infinity War that will decide the fate of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Set after Infinity War, the Avengers reunite with newcomers like Captain Marvel and old friends like Ant-Man and Hawkeye as they save reality from annihilation.
While Infinity War was a huge undertaking, it was only just the takeoff. Avengers: Endgame will reveal if Marvel sticks the landing.
Endgame is the next to last film currently slated for release from Marvel Studios, with Spider-Man: Far From Home set to debut a few months later in July 2019. It is not known what Marvel will do after that. We do know that a sequel to Black Panther, an Eternals movie, and a Shang-Chi movie are very early in pre-production.
So here’s everything we know about Avengers: Endgame. Also, it should go without saying but: Spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War ahead.
When will Avengers: Endgame be released?
The movie hits theaters worldwide on April 26.
Where can I watch the trailer?
The trailer was released on the early morning of December 7, 2018. You can watch it now in the embedded video at the top of this page.
When will a second trailer release?
We can’t say for sure, but Marvel dropped Trailer 2 for Avengers: Infinity War in mid-March and released the film in late April. With *Endgame also slated for a late April release we could see a second trailer pop-up in March 2019 to tease even more details about the upcoming film.
So the film is titled Endgame?
The film is titled Avengers: Endgame, echoing a cryptic line of dialogue spoken by Doctor Strange at the end of Avengers: Infinity War.
“We’re in the endgame now,” Strange told Tony Stark before vanishing. Tony also said “endgame” in 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, in reference to a threat beyond Earth which compelled him to create the disastrous Ultron A.I.
Where is the poster for Avengers: Endgame?
Marvel tweeted the official poster for Avengers: Endgame the morning the trailer was released, which you can see below.
What is the plot of Avengers: Endgame?
The film will pick up where Avengers: Infinity War left off, in which Marvel’s surviving heroes must band together to prevent another catastrophe.
A plot synopsis was unveiled in a May 2018 issue of marketing magazine License Global, which published the following synopsis:
“A culmination of 22 interconnected films, the fourth installment of the Avengers saga will draw audiences to witness the turning point of this epic journey. Our beloved heroes will truly understand how fragile this reality is and the sacrifices that must be made to uphold it.”
What’s this about time travel?
Fans are convinced time travel will play a role in Avengers: Endgame, and even some of the actors are starting to crack and admit it’s happening.
First, the most recent development is that Samuel L. Jackson, who revealed to Entertainment Tonight in an interview, said Captain Marvel is capable of time travel. That’s not her actual power in the comics, but it seems Carol Danvers is jumping from the ‘90s into 2019 to fight Thanos in Avengers: Endgame. Lucky for her. She’s going to miss MySpace and Ed Hardy shirts.
Second, there’s the Time Stone. Introduced in 2016’s Doctor Strange, the Avengers (and Thanos) are capable of manipulating time. There is also BARF, Tony Stark’s very expensive, very advanced AR device that recreates memories from the hippocampus. BARF was demoed by Tony to MIT students in the opening of Captain America: Civil War.
Much of the time travel speculation began in May 2018, when paparazzi photos revealed several Avengers stars wearing old costumes from 2012’s The Avengers, which hints Avengers: Endgame will revisit key events in MCU history.
Who is starring in Avengers: Endgame?
Expect every one of your favorites from Marvel to return in Avengers: Endgame — at least, those who appeared in Infinity War. Tom Hiddleston remains coy on the return of Loki, who was killed by Thanos but has a solo TV series in the works for Disney+.
Even Zoe Saldana’s Gamora, who actually died in the movie pre-Infinity Gauntlet snap, will return. In September 2017, Saldana appeared alongside her cast and crew on the set of Avengers: Endgame in an Instagram video to encourage Red Cross donations for victims of Hurricane Harvey.
OK then, who is new to Avengers: Endgame?
Now that’s a question. Avengers 4 will spotlight several new characters who weren’t present in Avengers: Infinity War. They include:
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye: The MIA Avenger wears a black costume similar to his other identity, Ronin.
- Paul Rudd as Ant-Man: The smallest biggest hero was floating in the Quantum Realm last time we saw him, but he emerges at Captain America’s door in the trailer for Endgame.
- Evangeline Lily as The Wasp: Although snapped out of existence, The Wasp will find some way to return to fight Thanos.
- Brie Larson as Captain Marvel: Nick Fury called. Carol Danvers answered. After the post-credits scene of Infinity War and her film debut in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers will clash fists with Thanos in Endgame.
- Frank Grillo as Crossbones: Although Grillo’s Marvel villain died at the hands of Scarlet Witch in Captain America: Civil War, Grillo confirmed his return in Endgame in a really casual interview with UFC Unfiltered in late October 2017.
- Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One: Although unconfirmed, the movie’s IMDB page lists Swinton as reprising her role of the Ancient One from Doctor Strange. Her return may be due to the aforementioned time travel, or perhaps a memory or hallucination felt by her student, Doctor Strange.
- Hiroyuki Sanada as ???: Japanese actor Hiroyuki Sanada has an unknown role in Avengers 4. Sanada has appeared in films like The Last Samurai, Speed Racer, The Wolverine, and, uh, Minions. He recently played Musashi in HBO’s Westworld and is currently filming John Wick: Chapter 3.
- Katherine Langford as ???: The Australian star of Love, Simon will appear in Endgame. Could she be a future version of Cassie Lang? In April 2018, the IMDB page of another actor, Emma Fuhrmann, briefly included credit as “Cassie Lang” for Endgame. While Fuhrmann’s IMDB no longer lists Endgame, Langford was confirmed for the movie by TheWrap in late October. Although aged five years apart, both actors are young brunette women who could play an older Cassie Lang should the Avengers explore a future timeline. In the comics, Cassie grows up and becomes her own superhero, adopting names such as Stature and Stinger.
Are the Netflix heroes appearing in Endgame?
What else should we know about Avengers: Endgame?
Will there be a post-credits scene?
Of course there will be a post-credits scene. But it’s anyone’s guess what is to come in the MCU.
Once again, @DanielRPK tweeted on November 24 that the post-credits scene could potentially tease the Eternals, an acknowledged but still in-development sci-fi film featuring the Marvel characters of the same name.
“The two Eternals are ‘Karen’ and Piper/Sprite,” Daniel tweeted. “They will most likely show up in a cosmic Marvel movie so either Captain Marvel or Avengers 4. A4 is more likely.”
It’s advisable to treat this claim with a grain of salt. Endgame is guaranteed to have some sort of post-credits scene, but we have no idea what. Then again, maybe Marvel will use Endgame to tease something unexpected. Or maybe we’ll get a taste of the studios plans to reintegrate the X-Men and Fantastic Four. We’ll just have to wait and find out.
Where can I rewatch Avengers: Infinity War?
Short of buying the film on Blu-ray and DVD and digital retailers like iTunes, Vudu, and Google, the film is currently streaming on Netflix. Enjoy watching your favorite Marvel heroes die again.
Avengers: Endgame premieres in theaters on April 26.