It’s been a hoax for far too long, but today — right now — Marty and Doc have travelled through time from 1985 to our present at 4:29 p.m. on October 21, 2015. Yes, today is finally Back to the Future Day. It’s bittersweet for fans of the time-travel trilogy who have always looked forward to this day. The movies no longer take place in the future, and they’re part of the past now.
But today isn’t a day to be sad about fictional time travelers. No. Today is a day to celebrate the adventures of Marty McFly and Doc Brown that we’ve loved for 30 years.
Here’s Christopher Lloyd reprising his role as Doc Brown in this brief message about October 21, 2015. Great Scott!
Here’s all you need to know about making today the best Back to the Future Day you can. Remember, you don’t have a time machine to go back and re-live it.
- First and foremost, check out the brand new 30th anniversary Blu-ray and DVD set of the movie trilogy. The “Complete Adventures” even include the animated series, a 64-page visual history book, and packaging that looks like the Flux Capacitor. The set also includes a new short film starring Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown.
- Subscribers can also just watch the movies on Amazon Prime. But act quick, they’ll be gone by the end of October just like a DeLorean travelling through time.
- You can also take off work and watch marathons of all three movies in select theaters starting — appropriately enough — at 4:29 p.m.
- If you already have the movies, be sure to scoop up a copy of the Ultimate Visual History of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
- If you didn’t catch one of the two performances of the score live at Radio City Music Hall, head on over to Mondo later today to grab new editions of Alan Silvestri’s music on vinyl.
- Make sure to watch a Cubs game. They may win the World Series.
- Grab a bottle of Pepsi Perfect before Griff and his gang chase you on a hoverboard.
- Check out the trailer for Jaws 19 before heading to the nearest Holomax theater to see how fake the shark still looks.
- Hop on your hoverboard, but just make sure you don’t use it on water.
- Grab a few Back to the Future-themed shirts to prove how much of a fan you are. We’re partial to the Flux Capacitor design ourselves.
- If you’re a bigger fan than that, check out our how-to on dressing exactly like Michael J. Fox’s teenage time traveller.
- If you’re a real fan, you’d make it out to the ultimate Back to the Future Day event called “We’re Going Back,” that’s taking place throughout Los Angeles today. If you find yourself in the area and need a primer on the best events: Look no further.