'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director James Gunn Answers Tons of MCU Questions
James Gunn, who’s directed both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and helped with the script on Avengers: Infinity War, just went on perhaps his most exhaustive Twitter deep-dive into MCU canon to-date.
Throughout most of Wednesday, James Gunn went on a lengthy Twitter thread to answer the most frequently asked questions he gets regarding his beloved Guardians of the Galaxy. Some of these are “duhs,” some of them are kind of a huge deal that offer clues about the MCU’s murky future, but many of them fall somewhere in between. Sadly, Gunn ignores perhaps the most pressing question of all: SPOILER How and why could he already be working on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 if almost every single Guardian dies in Infinity War? It’s sort of a huge Avengers 4 spoiler to begin with, because we have to assume that the movie will undo Thanos’s snap in some fashion.
Anyway, let’s unpack the litany of confirmations, refutations, and revelations we’ve gotten from James Gunn:
- Kraglin (played by Gunn’s brother Sean, by the way) inherited Yondu’s Yaka Arrow at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but the Yaka Arrow Controller finn he wears at the end of the movie is a different fin entirely.
- We thought everybody knew Gunn curated these awesome playlists?
- This one’s a bit of a “duh.” They can powers spaceships capable of lightspeed travel, so of course they can fabricate alternative power sources to Eighties tech.
- (see the previous explanation)
- Gunn confirmed back in October that the Guardians don’t really speak English, but they’ve all had two-way translators installed in their heads all along, so it hardly matters.
- Gunn also confirmed in February already that the original adult Groot from Vol. 1 totally died. Baby Groot, who became Teen Groot, is basically that Groot’s son. Do you have your father’s memories? Didn’t think so.
- Gunn’s been vocal since November 2016 that fans still haven’t found all of the Easter eggs from Vol. 1. At this point, we probably never will.
- Is he a liar? Or is there really an Easter egg hidden in there?
- Now this is just getting out of hand!
- It would seem like Kraglin is among the “undusted” who survived Thanos’s snap in Infinity War. Was he off with Ant-Man and Hawkeye?
- Adam Warlock has been teased in both Guardians movies so far, and while he plays a big role in the Infinity War of the comics, he’s still unconfirmed for another appearance in the MCU.
- This one also feels like a duh. Spoilers The only Guardians alive are Nebula and Rocket (and Kraglin, supposedly). Rocket is on Earth while she’s on Titan with Tony Stark.
- But c’mon! We want a hint!
- Unrelated to those translator chips, pretty much all of the Guardians understand Groot’s language by Infinity War. Hilariously, even Thor can speak it.
There’s no confirmed release date for James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, but we presume it’ll be a buddy cop action comedy focusing on Rocket and Nebula.