The future is fixed, and that’s not good for The Flash. In the show’s mid season return after its winter hiatus, “Borrowing Problems From the Future,” Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Cisco (Carlos Valdes) vibe to the future that Barry saw in the last episode, when Savitar killed Iris (Candace Patton). The pair are trying to document details about this future in order to prevent it, and while they’re there they read newspaper headlines — and each revelation is an emotional gut punch.
In essence, The Flash is teasing its own storylines to come later this season. Here they are:
- “Music Meister gets seven-figure book deal”: It seems the villain of the upcoming crossover musical with Supergirl will walk away pretty fine, and pretty rich.
- “Luigi’s opens after murder”: Sounds like a restaurant in Central City will have some unsavory patrons later this season.
- “Killer Frost still at large”: Despite their best efforts, Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) will succumb to her evil identity.
- “S.T.A.R. Labs museum closes”: Poor H.R. (Tom Cavanagh). His only contribution to the team will end in misery.
- “City still recovering following gorilla attack”: Gorilla Grodd is confirmed to return later this season, and he might be more dangerous than ever.
The future they vibe to has changed, slightly, since the last time Barry stumbled into it over Christmas. This time, H.R. had a rifle with sights aimed at Savitar, but it’s ultimately no help: Savitar still kills Iris. Still, there’s hope. Armed with the knowledge of these future headlines, S.T.A.R. Labs can and will alter their future. Kid Flash’s arrest of Plunder is proof.Photos via The CW