Playing Pokémon Unite with friends is about to get a lot more interesting. Currently, players can just group up in the lobby, forming a private match if they have enough players. It’s functional, but a little clunky. Thankfully, that’s about to change on September 22.
Pokémon Unite is finally coming to iOS and Android, and a significant update is dropping alongside those ports. This update made some balance changes and added many new features and unlockables to Pokémon Unite. One of these features is Unite Squads, which will vastly improve the multiplayer experience with clan-like features.
This is everything we know about the Pokémon Unite update that will drop alongside the game's mobile versions.
What are the Pokémon Unite mobile patch notes?
From Call of Duty to Knockout City, most multiplayer games strive with “clan” or “crew” systems that allow like-minded players to connect and play the game together. Pokémon Unite is finally adding a feature like this with Unite Squads.
“Trainers can create their own squads or search for already-existing squads to join and connect with other players,” the feature’s description in a press release says. “By choosing squad tags that others can search for, like-minded Trainers can find each other easily.”
The Unite Squad feature appears in the trailer.
Players will be able to customize their Squad’s name, description, and tags. Unite Squads can have up to 30 players, and an in-game squad chat will help squads organize when they want to play matches. This feature will make playing with friends a smoother experience, which should add to the longevity of Pokémon Unite.
Of course, it’s not the only new feature coming in this mobile launch update. A press release confirms that the update will add a special mission to unlock Zeraora, while posts on the game’s website confirmed the following changes:
- Full cross-platform play and account linking across mobile devices and Nintendo Switch. Link an account, and play with the same account across both platforms.
- New in-game events in which you can get super item enhancers that can upgrade a held item to grade 30. We’ve also made it easier for all Trainers to get item enhancers.
- New held items to introduce fresh strategies.
- The introduction of Unite squads, allowing Trainers to team up with squadmates.
- A second battle pass, which will feature all-new cosmetic items, including new Holowear with special visual effects.
- The rollout of some limited Spectator Mode features.
- Support for multiple new languages.
- New Battle Guide feature added to the game.
- “Good job!” accolades can now be given during battle.
- New Offline Mode feature added to the Nintendo Switch version.
- Shop updated.
- Bugs fixed.
- Text issues fixed.
- UI adjusted.
- Changes made to some Trainer fashion item designs.
- Absol: Night Slash - Cooldown reduced. Area of effect adjusted
- Absol: Sucker Punch - Cooldown reduced. Duration of unstoppable condition while move is in use increased
- Zeraora: Slash - Number of attacks decreased. Damage of each attack increased.
- Zeraora: Spark - Lengthened the time allowed between uses to make the move easier to use. The number of attacks in the Wild Charge combo will now increase even if the player performs a basic attack while using Spark.
- Zeraora: Wild Charge - Cooldown reduced. Damage taken by the user while this move is in use reduced.
- Charizard: Fire Punch - Target(s) affected by the burn adjusted.
- Charizard: Flamethrower - Movement speed increase strengthened.
- Charizard: Fire Blast - Cooldown Reduced
- Charizard: Unite Move (Seismic Slam) - This move has been changed to the following:
- Has the user grab a Pokémon from the opposing team and slam it onto the ground from the air. For a short time afterward, the user can move freely over obstacles. While this Unite Move is being used, the user’s basic attacks deal increased damage and leave opposing Pokémon burned. In addition, when the user deals damage to an opposing Pokémon, the user recovers HP. Unite Move charge rate decreased. Fixed a bug affecting the possible timing for ending this move.
- Venusaur: Giga Drain- Damage reduction increased.
- Venusaur: Petal Dance - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon increased. Cooldown reduced. Movement speed increase strengthened.
- Cinderace: Pyro Ball - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon increased. Cooldown reduced.
- Cinderace: Flame Charge - Cooldown Reduced
- Cinerace: Unite Move (Blazing Bicycle Kick) - Fixed a bug that occurred when the move fails to activate.
- Cinderace: Blaze - Ability effect timing adjusted
- Talonflame: Attack increased.
- Talonflame: Fly - Cooldown reduced. Aerial movement speed increase strengthened.
- Talonfalme: Unite Move (Flame Sweep) - Unite Move charge rate increased.
- Garchomp: Defense and Sp. Def increased.
- Garchomp: Rough Skin - Adjusted the time between instances of this Ability’s effect triggering.
- Greninja: Attack and max HP decreased.
- Greninja: Smokescreen - Fixed a bug causing the Smokescreen+ effect to trigger even before the move is upgraded.
- Greninja: Double Team - Improved the movement of the illusory copies.
- Greninja: Water Shuriken - Fixed a bug affecting the decrease to opposing Pokémon’s movement speed.
- Greninja: Unite Move (Waterburst Shuriken) - Adjusted the move to allow it to trigger more quickly.
- Greninja: Torrent: Attack increase weakened.
- Wigglytuff: Max-level Sp. Atk decreased
- Wigglytuff: Pound - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon decreased.
- Wigglytuff: Dazzling Gleam - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon decreased.
- Wigglytuff: Sing - Fixed a bug affecting opposing Pokémon put to sleep by this move.
- Wigglytuff: Cute Charm - Adjusted the time between instances of this Ability’s effect triggering.
- Cramorant: Boosted Attack - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon increased.
- Cramorant: Surf - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon decreased.
- Cramorant: Dive - Cooldown reduced.
- Cramoorant: Unite Move (Gatling Gulp Missle) - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon decreased.
- Lucario: Power-Up Punch - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon decreased.
- Lucario: Close Combat - Damage dealt to opposing Pokémon increased. Number of attacks increased.
- Lucario: Close Combat+ - Fixed a bug affecting this move’s damage.
- Alolan Ninetales: Blizzard - Changed how the move deals damage after the blizzard hits an obstacle.
- Alolan Ninetales: Unite Move (Snow Globe) - Fixed bugs.
- Alolan Ninetales: Snow Warning - Fixed bugs.
- Eldegoss: Cotton Guard - Fixed a bug affecting the HP recovery when the move ends.
- Eldegoss: Leaf Tornado - Improved the move’s effects and adjusted the move to match the feel of the controls.
- Gardevoir: Boosted Attack - Fixed a bug affecting this move’s damage.
- Gardevoir: Psyshock+ - Fixed bugs.
- Snorlax: Yawn - Fixed a bug affecting opposing Pokémon put to sleep by this move.
- Gengar: Lick - Fixed a bug that occurred when opposing Pokémon are pulled toward the user. Fixed a bug affecting this move’s timing.
- Mr. Mime: Barrier - Adjusted the move so that it when it is upgraded, it refills its reserve uses to the maximum.
- Mr. Mime: Guard Swap: Fixed a bug affecting the swapping of Defense.
- Crustle: Adjusted the Pokémon’s contact area.
- Slowbro: Basic Attack - Fixed a bug causing both basic attacks and boosted attacks to decrease the Sp. Def of opposing Pokémon.
- Slowbro: Surf - Adjusted the area of effect.
- Machamp: Unite Move (Barrage Blow) - Fixed a bug with the shove effect. Fixed a bug with the move being used on superjump springboards.
- Blastoise: Rapid Spin - Fixed a bug causing attacks performed while spinning to decrease the movement speed of opposing Pokémon. Fixed a bug allowing the user to use either Hydro Pump or Water Spout at the same time as basic attacks while spinning.
- Wild Pokémon: Regigigas - As a balance adjustment, added the following effect when this Pokémon is defeated: For a short time, your team’s goal-scoring speed increases and your team’s goals become unblockable.
When is the Pokémon Unite mobile update release time?
At 5 p.m. Eastern on September 21, Pokémon Unite will go offline for maintenance. The plan is for the game to come back online at 3 a.m. Eastern on September 22. At that point, the update is available, and you can start playing an improved version of Pokémon Unite on Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android.
What updates are coming to Pokémon Unite in the future?
Mamoswine and Sylveon are confirmed for the game and were even in the trailer for this update but still don’t have release dates themselves. In a post on Pokémon Unite’s website, Producer Masaaki Hoshino teased some of the other updates that are coming in the future.
“We’ll continue to add more playable Pokémon and make balance adjustments to both Pokémon and the maps,” he said. “Trainers can anticipate new battle passes, themed events, and other compelling content to make Pokémon Unite even more fun and rewarding. Additionally, we’re developing a new mode of play designed to level the playing field for all Trainers, regardless of their held items’ grades.”
Considering that Pokémon Unite has some pay-to-win elements, knowing that an upcoming mode will not account for those buffs is exciting. It should also pair well with Unite Squads, as everyone in one will be able to play together on an even playing field.
Pokémon Unite comes to iOS and Android on September 22.