Blastoise is always the runner-up. Since the early days of playground-based Pokémon games, Charizard has led the charge as the most popular ‘mon, but Blastoise is never far behind the lizard dragon. Similarly, Pokémon Unite debuted with Charizard on the MOBA’s roster, but Blastoise will be joining the fray in the near future.
The critter was previously available in the Pokémon Unite beta but was MIA at the game’s launch. Its disappearance frustrated the community as Gardevoir, Blissey, and Mamoswine were all teased while our chonky turtle boi got no such love.
Thankfully, The Pokémon Company has finally revealed when it will add Blastoise to Pokémon Unite. Hopefully, Blastoise makes a big splash on the meta.
Here’s everything we know about Blastoise in Pokémon Unite.
When is the Pokémon Unite Blastoise release date?
TiMi Studios will add Blastoise to Pokémon Unite via a game update on September 1, 2021.
Blastoise was previously mentioned on June 17 in the same tweet as Gardevoir regarding Pokémon that wouldn’t be available ahead of the official release. Gardevoir was made available a month later, on July 27, but Blissey was added to the game before Blastoise. Blastoise might be the last new Pokémon added to the game ahead of its mobile release on September 22.
Is there a Pokémon Unite Blastoise trailer?
Yes, there is! A video was posted to Twitter alongside the release date reveal. It shows Blastoise in action, giving us a clear idea of its moveset. Check it out below!
What is Blastoise’s moveset in Pokémon Unite?
While Blastoise isn’t in the game just yet, we actually have a clear idea of what its moveset will be, thanks to the Pokémon Unite beta. Keep in mind that stats related to these abilities might have changed a bit for the current version of the game, but the trailer confirms the moveset is the same.
Basic attack: Long-range basic attacks.
Passive ability: Torrent. When at half health, or less, they’ll have increased Attack and Special Attack damage.
Level 1 or 3 techniques
- Water Gun (Ranged): Attacks using a shot of water, decreasing opposing Pokémon movement speed for a short time. Also shoves opposing Pokémon and leaves them unable to act after they are shoved the maximum distance.
- Skull Bash (Dash): Fiercely rams an opposing Pokémon, stunning it briefly.
Level 5 techniques:
- Hydro Pump (Ranged): Shoots a fierce stream of water which knocks back opponents hits. Enemy Pokémon who are knocked back the furthest are stunned.
- Water Spout (Area): Spouts water towards the designated location, decreasing the movement speed of opposing Pokémon in the area of effect for a short time.
Level 7 techniques
- Surf (Dash): The user charges forward on a wave, shoving and stunning opposing Pokémon.
- Rapid Spin (Buff): Retracts into its shell and spins while strengthening basic attacks and spraying moves.
- Hydro Typhoon (Melee): Spouts water to attack while spinning and throws opposing Pokémon in a large area. The user is shielded while using this move.
What is Blastoise’s role in Pokémon Unite?
Pokémon Unite features distinct classes for each playable Pokémon like All-Rounder, Attacker, Support, and Defender. A Pokémon’s role determines what activities they should perform during a match.
Blastoise is currently believed to be a Defender, which means they can take many hits and draw attention from enemies. It’s a role usually referred to as a Tank in other games. Still, it looks like it will deal a lot of damage for a Pokémon in that battle type.
What Holowear does Blastoise have in Pokémon Unite?
The Holowear that will be available for Blastoise once they’re available is currently unknown. One data-mine by the Twitter user SciresM suggests that Blastoise will have a sexy poker grandpa-esque outfit available at some point. It’s complete with what appears to be a Panama hat. Like every Pokémon in Pokémon Unite, you’ll be able to buy some stylish outfits for Blastoise.
Pokémon Unite is available now on Nintendo Switch and comes to mobile on September 22.
This article was originally published on