LOOK, UP IN THE SKY! It's not a bird or a plane.
It's a new live-action Superman series, and it's coming to your TV screens faster than a speeding bullet.
After years of rumors that started in 2016, DC and The CW announced in late 2019 a new Superman TV series. The show, titled Superman & Lois, will star Tyler Hoechlin (who first played the Man of Steel in the CW series Supergirl) and Elizabeth Tulloch as reporter Lois Lane.
Both Hoechlin and Tulloch's characters originate from The CWVerse (formerly known as the Arrowverse), the shared universe of DC Comics media that includes shows like Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and more.
Here's everything we know so far about the new series, Superman & Lois. Bookmark this page and come back often, as we'll update the page with trailers, plot details, casting announcements, and more when they're made available.
When is the release date of Superman & Lois on The CW?
Superman & Lois will premiere on February 23, 2021 on The CW.
The date was announced on October 29, 2020 on the show's official social media. The release date was bumped up by a month from an original release window of "January 2021."
What is Superman & Lois?
Superman & Lois is a new 13-episode TV series about the DC Comics icon, Superman, and his married life with renowned Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane. It is a spin-off of the TV series Supergirl, which stars Melissa Benoist as Kara Zor-El/Supergirl, the cousin of Superman.
While the coronavirus pandemic has forced many TV productions to pause, Supergirl is expected to air its sixth and final season in mid-2021.
Will Superman & Lois stream on Netflix?
When Superman & Lois concludes its first season, it is not guaranteed to stream on Netflix. An agreement between Netflix and The CW dating back to 2011 was not renewed in 2019. This means Superman & Lois' parent studio WarnerMedia can shop shows to other platforms. That means there is a possibility, but not a guarantee, that Superman & Lois will stream on Netflix.
A likely scenario will be that Superman & Lois will stream on HBO Max, where other DC shows like Batwoman, Doom Patrol, and Harley Quinn are currently streaming.
As of January 2021, there is no known streaming home for Superman & Lois other than The CW's main website, which will stream episodes with commercials after they air.
Is there a Superman & Lois trailer?
Yes! A trailer was released online on January 21, 2021. You can watch the trailer in the embed below.
What is the plot of Superman & Lois?
The primary plot of Superman & Lois involves Superman and Lois Lane raising their two teenage sons, Jonathan and Jordan Kent, in Superman's hometown of Smallville. As Jonathan and Jordan discover their Kryptonian superpowers, Clark Kent will have to raise his boys as both Clark and Superman, all while keeping Earth safe from alien threats.
How is Superman & Lois a different show from other Superman TV shows?
Unlike other Superman shows, like Superboy and Smallville, the series will not be an origin story nor a young adult drama about the teenage years of Clark Kent. Instead, evocative of the 1990s soap series Lois & Clark that starred Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, Superman & Lois will have an older, experienced Superman in his adulthood.
Showrunner Todd Helbing said the show aims to tell a "grounded" story about adulthood. Helbing also revealed that sons Jonathan and Jordan will have their own superpowers.
"Speaking from experience, my boys are wildly different," Helbing said, "So we wanted to present two kids with different skill sets and how do you deal with that as parents."
Helbing also said that the re-mapping of the multiverse (after "Crisis on Infinite Earths") allowed the producers to have a "blank slate," which led to aging Jonathan Kent — introduced as an infant in the special — into a teenager. The show will also introduce Jordan Kent, Jon's twin brother and a new character invented for the series.
"I came from a small town in the Midwest and the town I grew up in had a business leave and sort of affected everyone in the town," Helbing said. "The town slowly started to dry up. It felt very current with recent years after [the financial crisis of] 2008. We wanted to tell the story where you have these two parents who, after this tragic event happens, move back to Smallville and find that it's easier to raise kids maybe in a place where life isn't so hectic as it is in Metropolis."
What will Tyler Hoechlin's Superman costume look like?
One of the biggest news revealed at DC FanDome in summer 2020 is that Tyler Hoechlin's Superman will wear a new costume, one that's different from the costume he's worn in shows like Supergirl.
“Originally [Tyler Hoechlin] came on for the crossovers and that suit wasn’t built to sustain a series. And I think in just everything that we were talking about, we have a fresh slate,” Helbing said. “There’s going to be a really badass Superman suit in this show that we’re pretty excited about.”
In late 2020, the costume was revealed, which confirmed design inspiration from the New 52 era of Superman's comic books.
Will Superman & Lois have a crossover with other DC shows?
Probably! The Covid-19 pandemic has made television productions more difficult than usual and the producers of the CWverse have mostly ruled out a crossover for the time being.
But Superman & Lois will share continuity with the DC shows Supergirl, The Flash, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, and Batwoman. That leaves room open for a crossover should the powers that be (and the end of a pandemic) make it so.
Who stars in the cast of Superman & Lois?
The cast for Superman & Lois includes:
- Tyler Hoechlin (Everybody Wants Some!!) as Clark Kent/Superman, a newspaper journalist who lives a double life as Superman. Hoechlin reprises his role from the CWverse franchise, having made previous appearances in episodes of Supergirl and specials like "Elseworlds" and "Crisis on Infinite Earths."
- Elizabeth Tulloch (Grimm) as Lois Lane, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter married to Clark Kent. Tulloch made her debut as Lois Lane in the 2018 special "Elseworlds" and returned in the 2019/2020 special "Crisis on Infinite Earths."
- Jordan Elsas (Little Fires Everywhere) as Jonathan Kent, the son of Superman and Lois Lane. In the comics, Jonathan takes up the name "Superboy" and forms the duo "Super Sons" with Damian Wayne/Robin, the son of Bruce Wayne.
- Alexander Garfin (The Peanuts Movie) as Jordan Kent, the twin brother of Jonathan and an original character with no comic book roots. Deadline reported Jordan as "wildly intelligent" who has a "mercurial temperament and social anxiety limits."
- Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck) as General Lane. Deadline described the character as "a no-nonsense Army general who’s determined to keep America, and the world, safe from all threats." The character was previously played by Glenn Morshower in Supergirl.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) as Lana Lang, a childhood friend of Clark/Superman and his first love. The two reconnect as adults in Superman & Lois. Entertainment Weekly revealed the series will introduce Lana in "one of the most difficult periods of her life."
What Superman comics should I read?
Because of the inclusion of Jonathan Kent, it is easy to read just a few select Superman comics that feature the character and the premise of a married Superman and Lois Lane.
- Superman: Lois and Clark by Dan Jurgens and Lee Weeks
- Superman: Rebirth by Peter Tomasi and Dan Jurgens
- The Man of Steel by Brian Michael Bendis
- Superman by Brian Michael Bendis
- Action Comics by Brian Michael Bendis
Superman & Lois will premiere on The CW on February 23, 2021.