Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order gives gamers a lot of options for battling through hordes of Stormtroopers, snarling beasts, and dark Jedi. Cal’s skill tree is divided into three branches: Lightsaber, Survival, and Force. All three have limited options right out of the gate, but as Cal repairs his relationship with the Force through the story more advanced techniques will become available.
In the early stages of the game, you’ll need to rely exclusively on Cal’s dodge (B on Xbox One, Circle on PS4) ability and blocking (LB on Xbox One, L1 on PS4) to ward off attacks. That means investing into the Lightsaber and Survival branches as soon as possible will ensure you can swiftly dispatch enemies and take a hit or two as you’re getting used to the controls.
As you defeat opponents and discover secrets on the first planet you visit, Bogano, your Skill Point bar will increase. Once that’s full, you can spend it on any of the skills available in the tree. Combat in Fallen Order can be unforgiving it you miss a block or dodge. The following build balances aggressive moves with survivability into an early brawler sort of strategy.
The Force skill branch is only slightly useful early on, but truly shines later in the game when Cal learns more advanced Jedi techniques. Here’s a breakdown of a Lightsaber-Survival build that helped me slash through the early phases of the Jedi Master difficulty:
- Overhead Slash: This lets Cal perform a strike that one-shots weaker enemies. This is a bread-and-butter skill that lets you instantly decrease the number of enemies you have to deal with at one time.
- Dash: This will let you close the distance between enemies and escape dicey situations.
- Survival Skills: The pervious two skills let Cal be more aggressive, boosting his HP will make aggression safer.
- Force Attunement: Both Overhead Slash and Dash drain your Force meter, this skill will ensure you can use them more often.
- Improve Stims: The health packs BD-1 carries with it will heal more letting Cal be even more aggressive.
- Enhanced Force Recovery: This will recharge Cal’s force meter every time he block an attack and when he hits or kills an enemy. So you’ll be able to use Overhead Slash and Dash even more.
- Superior Blocking: Cal can block for longer without fear of his stamina waring out.
- Improved Dash: Dash now reaches much further.
With these abilities under Cal’s belt, your first exploration of Bogano should go smoothly. Remember to return to the planet eventually; you’ll be able to discover even more of its hidden treasures once Cal has become stronger.
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order is out now for PS4, Xbox One, and PC