Oscars 2019: Where to Stream Oscar-Nominated Films on Netflix, Hulu and HBO
Earlier this week, Netflix launched a new sidebar called “Celebrate the Oscars,” allowing users to browse the streaming service’s collection specifically for any movie that’s ever been nominated for an Acadamy Award. It makes for a staggering, impressive playlist of films new and old alike.
But what about the movies nominated for the 2019 Oscars?
Most of the 2018 Oscar-nominated films are already available for purchase or to rent, even if you can’t stream them on a subscription service like Netflix. Bohemian Rhapsody, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, A Star Is Born, are all available via digital purchase from Amazon and other sources. BlacKkKlansman, First Man, The Wife, Hale County This Morning, This Evening, and Of Fathers and Sons are all also to rent and buy.
Luckily, there are still plenty of other Oscar nominees available to stream right now for free — assuming you already pay for the big four streaming platforms of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and HBO (or have access to a friend’s account).
Here’s everything available to stream between now and the Oscars ceremony on February 24, ordered based on which movies got the most rewards.
- Roma (Netflix) — Best Picture, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Best Foreign Language Film, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Production Design
- Black Panther (Netflix) — Best Picture, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Production Design, Original Score, Original Song, Costume Design
- Isle of Dogs (HBO) — Animated Feature, Original Score
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix) — Adapted Screenplay, Original Song
- The Incredibles 2 (Netflix) — Best Animated Feature
- Avengers: Infinity War (Netflix) — Visual Effects
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Netflix) — Visual Effects
- First Reformed (Amazon) — Original Screenplay
- Ready Player One (HBO) — Visual Effects
- RBG (Hulu) — Best Documentary Feature
- Minding the Gap (Hulu) — Best Documentary Feature
The one film that everyone really needs to see ahead of the 2019 Oscars is Roma, which also happens to be a Netflix exclusive — though you’ll get an even better experience seeing it in theaters. Several of the more popular films like Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War have already been seen by millions of viewers. Beyond all that, there are still plenty of other movies that can keep you busy.
The 91st Academy Awards will air on ABC on February 24, 2019 beginning at 8 p.m. Eastern.