Everything you need to know about God of War Ragnarök
The Norse realms seem even harsher in God of War Ragnarök. After years of anticipation and no concrete information since September 2021, fans are desperate to get their hands on this sequel. Sony finally saw fit to shed some more light on the project in a recent blog post. The story seems to pick up shortly after its predecessor leaves off, with Kratos and Atreus asking all the same questions fans have been wondering about since that cliffhanger finale. Here's everything you need to know about God of War Ragnarök.
When will God of War Ragnarök be released?
After getting pushed back from an original release window of 2021, and a long time waiting, the official release date for God of War Ragnarök is November 9, 2022. The announcement was made on the PlayStation blog along with a snazzy new trailer.
As happy as many people are to see the game finally get an official release, it comes after a wave of intense harassment that the developers at Sony Santa Monica faced. Some developers even shared that they were being sent unsolicited Dick Pics due to the game not revealing a release date.
Is there a God of War Ragnarök trailer?
Yes, Sony Santa Monica revealed a three-minute trailer that goes into quite a bit of detail about the story of God of War Ragnarök.
In addition, a CG trailer was released along with the game's release date announcement. It features a big wolf!
What do we know about the God of War Ragnarök story?
Spoilers ahead for the end of God of War (2018).
After defeating Baldur, Kratos and Atreus finally reach Jotunheim to scatter the ashes of Atreus’ mother, Faye. That’s where they discover that Faye was actually a giant called Laufey, making Atreus half-god and half-giant. We also learn that he has another name: Loki.
As father and son journey back home, Atreus peppers his father with questions about what his true identity could mean and about his mother’s legacy. It seems likely that watching Atreus discover more of his Loki side — for better or worse — will be a major focus of the next game.
The death of Baldur might have also teased Kratos’ next major challenge in God of War Ragnarök. The cataclysmic event, also known as the “Twilight of the Gods,” is a prophecy in Norse mythology that is said to bring about the death of many gods.
While the series typically always plays it fast and loose with mythology, Baldur’s death consistently kicks off Ragnarök in most versions of the story. What’s more, a secret cut scene at the end of the game shows Thor confronting Kratos at his home, suggesting a conflict between gods is imminent.
Here’s a rundown of what we learned from the September 9 trailer:
- There’s a time skip of a few years, since Atreus is a teenager
- Atreus’ lineage is a central plot point and source of conflict with his father
- Freya returns as an antagonist
- Thor is also an antagonist
- All nine Norse realms are in the game
- The game will “conclude” the “Norse Saga,” according to the creators in a post-show interview
Is God of War Ragnarök a PS5 exclusive?
The fifth game in the series will be a cross-generation title. During a June 2021 interview with the PlayStation Blog, Herman Hulst confirmed that Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, and the next God of War would be available on PS4 and PS5.
“Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that,” Hulst said. “And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.” Hulst cites Returnal and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart as the two major showcases for PS5 exclusivity.
Are there any special editions of God of War Ragnarök?
Yes! There are so many different editions of God of War Ragnarök to choose from, and many of them are very special. Here is a handy guide to each edition and what it has.
When you purchase God of War Ragnarök before launch, you will receive
- Kratos Risen Snow Armor
- Atreus Risen Snow Tunic (cosmetic).
- Full game (digital or physical)
- If you purchase the Standard Edition for PS4, you must pay $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version.
Digital Deluxe Edition
- Full God of War Ragnarök game on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles.
- Kratos Darkdale Armor**
- Atreus Darkdale Attire (cosmetic) **
- Darkdale Blades Handles for the Blades of Chaos**
- Darkdale Axe Grip for the Leviathan Axe**
- Official God of War Ragnarök Digital Soundtrack
- Dark Horse Digital Mini Artbook
- Avatar Set
- PlayStation 4 Theme
The Collector’s Edition comes housed in a box representing the Knowledge Keeper’s Shrine. This shrine was of the triptychs that Kratos and Atreus came across in God of War (2018). Inside the shrine is:
- Printed voucher code for the full God of War Ragnarök game on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles.
- A Steelbook Display Case (no game disc included) – The God of War Ragnarök Steelbook Display Case depicts renditions of the Bear and the Wolf.
- 2” Vanir Twins Carvings – In the same style as Atreus’ wooden toy carvings of the Huldra Brothers from the God of War (2018) Collector’s Edition, the God of War Ragnarök Collector’s Edition completes the set with carvings of the Vanir Twins.
- Dwarven Dice Set – This set comes with a set of dice with a quality wood-like finish in a dice bag with a symbol of Yggdrasil on the outside.
- 16” Mjölnir Replica – A highly detailed replica of Thor’s signature weapon from God of War Ragnarök.
- All the Digital Deluxe Edition content
The biggest edition you can get comes with:
- Printed voucher code for the full God of War Ragnarök game on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles.*
- 7-Inch Vinyl Record with music by Bear McCreary – This includes two tracks from composer Bear McCreary.
- The Falcon, Bear, and Wolf Pin Set – Representing Faye, Kratos, and Atreus respectively, this pin set symbolizes our heroes’ family.
- The Legendary Draupnir Ring – A ring from Norse Mythology, the Legendary Draupnir Ring comes in a red cloth bag.
- Brok’s Dice Set – This dice set comes with a metallic silver finish with blue detailing. The dice bag features the Huldra Brothers’ brand.
- Yggdrasil Cloth Map – This cloth map shows each of the Nine Realms within the branches and roots of Yggdrasil.
- A Steelbook Display Case (no game disc included)
- 2” Vanir Twins Carvings
- 16” Mjölnir Replica
- All the Digital Deluxe Edition content
God of War: Ragnarök will come to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on November 9, 2022.
Just Lunning, Mike Bloom, and Jen Glennon contributed to earlier versions of this story.
This article was originally published on