When I went to see The Force Awakens at the Regal Battery Park Stadium 11 in lower Manhattan on Friday, my excitement for the movie was compounded by spotting Neil deGrasse Tyson in the wild. As if seeing the newest chapter of the Star Wars saga wasn’t enough, here was renowned space expert NDT strolling out of the theater (wearing sunglasses inside, no less).
While I was too busy waiting in line to get his take, Tyson decided to take to Twitter today and give his own brand of science-based critiques about The Force Awakens.
Like every worst science teacher, he’s being a bit of a wet blanket, and because of his ill tweet-based will towards the science in the new Star Wars movie the internet is rising up against him with a collective voice saying, “It’s just a movie, Neil!”
Maybe he forgot that Star Wars is science-fiction (emphasis ours). He should probably take the “science-ing the shit out of things” goodwill leftover from The Martian and quit while he still can. Tweets can be deleted, but the internet never forgets.
Here’s what NDT has to say about TFA:
- Neil, just like Anakin, hates sand.
- In space, no one can hear you complain.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson wants to destroy ten-thousand planets. You read it here, folks.
- Not sure what he means by this, but it seems like he also hates galactic veggies.
- It’s not space America, Neil. Chewie’s allowed to speak Shyriiwook.
- Only NDT can pivot from the hard science to Stormtrooper poo.
Along with Tyson’s own insights, there have been some fairly sick burns from people on Twitter angry at him for ruining all the fun.
If you liked this article, check out this video: "Bernie Sanders Presents A Giant, Printed-out Tweet By Donald Trump To U.s. Senate"