'The Suicide Squad' Cast: James Gunn Reveal Packs Some Killer Surprises
Almost all the big rumors are confirmed for 'The Suicide Squad,' and then some.
It’s a Friday afternoon, which is typically slow for entertainment news, which is what makes director James Gunn a Joker-level mad genius. On Twitter, the director of Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 revealed the full ensemble cast of The Suicide Squad, and there are some seriously huge surprises, as well as confirmation to ongoing rumors.
“Don’t get too attached,” Gunn tweeted with the image.
While the film is a sequel that continues the story of the first movie, many of the characters have either been recast or swapped in favor of other DC baddies. But that’s all speculation, as Gunn’s reveal only included the names of the film’s actors, not their characters. Speculation is still wide open as to who these people will play in the DC Universe.
Below are all the names of the actors confirmed for The Suicide Squad:
- David Dastmaclchian
- John Cena
- Jai Courtney
- Joaquín Cosío
- Nathan Fillion
- Joel Kinnaman
- Mayling Ng
- Flula Borg
- Sean Gunn
- Julian Diego Botto
- Storm Reid
- Pete Davidson
- Taika Waititi
- Alice Braga
- Steve Agee
- Tinashe Kajese
- Daniela Melchior
- Peter Capaldi
- Julio Ruiz
- Jennifer Holland
- Viola Davis
- Idris Elba
- Margot Robbie
- Michael Rooker
Told you these names were surprising. Here are some quick takeaways you need to know about until more information is released.
- Jai Courtney, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, and Margot Robbie (!!!) are the only confirmed names, so far, to return from 2016’s Suicide Squad, which cements the film as a sequel than a complete reboot. Margot Robbie will also reprise her role as Harley Quinn in the upcoming Birds of Prey in 2020, suggesting that the DC Extended Universe isn’t totally dead.
- Almost all the wildest rumors for The Suicide Squad were confirmed by Gunn. John Cena, Taika Waititi (also a Marvel director, having helmed Thor: Ragnarok and the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder) and Peter Capaldi were big names floated around on the internet rumor mill before today.
- Idris Elba, another popular rumor, is now confirmed. It is unknown what role he will play, but it is heavily rumored that Elba will take over for Will Smith in the role of Deadshot.
- Mayling Ng, a fitness champion and actress, also played Orana in 2017’s Wonder Woman. Either Ng will return as Orana in the DCEU, or she will play a new/different character from DC comics.
- Steve Agee is reported to play King Shark in voiceover.
- Holy shit, Pete Davidson?
The Suicide Squad will be released in theaters on August 6, 2021.