The Tesla Model 3 is here, with more consumers invited to choose between premium upgrades and finalize their order. Nearly a year after the $35,000 electric car entered production, the company has ramped up production to 2,000 vehicles per week, with plans to reach 6,000 around the end of the summer. The project represents CEO Elon Musk’s major goal to offer a mass market vehicle produced at speed.
Tesla is gradually inviting the approximately 400,000 customers that have placed a $1,000 reservation for the Model 3 to finalize their order, choosing optional extras and arranging a payment method. When the lucky selected receive their invitation, they’ll have to choose from a variety of options including a single $5,000 extra called the Premium Upgrades Package.
Note that there are some key downsides to missing out the package. You can’t pick-and-choose options to arrive at a final lower price, so if you want the premium audio system, for example, you need to pay the full $5,000. You also have just three days to change your mind on the package after sending your order, after which point you need to pay $500 for each change you make. Tesla also initially started production on the 310-mile model with premium upgrade interior, meaning a non-premium choice could mean a longer wait.
Here’s what you get with the Premium Upgrades Package:
- Premium seating and cabin materials with open pore wood décor. This is instead of the textile seating in the non-premium model.
- Heated seats. All models offer a dual-zone climate control system, but this offers added warmth.
- Two rear USB ports. This is in addition to the two USB ports in the front center console of every Model 3, as well as a 12-volt power outlet.
- Twelve-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles.
- Premium audio system. The upgraded version offers more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer.
- Tinted glass roof, packing ultraviolet and infrared protection.
- Premium side mirrors, with auto dimming, power folding, and heating. All side mirrors are power-adjustable, but this adds extra convenience.
- LED fog lamps.
- A center console with covered storage, as well as docking for two smartphones. The non-premium center console only offers open storage in the center console.