A new generation of Pokémon is right around the corner, which means there will be a whole new roster of creatures to discover, catch, and train. Pokémon for Sword and Shield will hit shelves on November 15, introducing the Galar region and kicking off the eighth generation of collectible critters.
The franchise has ballooned to include 807 Pokémon in total since the release of the original 151 back in 1996. Each new title in the series has debuted anywhere from 70 to 150 new Pokémon and Pokémon for Sword and Shield is expected to bring a similarly hefty Pokédex update.
Nintendo has been tight-lipped about which Pokémon will populate the Galar region. To date, only 21 new Pokémon have been officially revealed and a handful of others were teased during a 24-hour Pokémon Sword and Shield live stream over the weekend.
Here are all of the Pokémon that have been confirmed to be in Sword and Shield and the new additions spotted during Nintendo’s recent day-long broadcast.
Pokémon for Sword and Shield: Galarian starting trio
Much like every other classic Pokémon RPG (other than Yellow), Sword and Shield will give gamers a choice of three starters.
- Grookey is a Grass-type, chimp-like Pokémon that’s based on the Ecuadorian squirrel monkey.
- Scorbunny is a Fire-type, rabbit-like Pokémon that’s based on albino rabbit.
- Sobble is a Water-type, lizard-like Pokémon that’s based on a chameleon.
Nintendo has yet to reveal the evolutions for Sword and Shield’s starters. They’re expected to have two evolutions each, based on the starters of previous Pokémon titles.
Pokémon for Sword and Shield: Galarian legendaries
Each new Pokémon title comes with its own batch of extremely rare and powerful creatures that players typically have a chance to catch late in the game.
Pokémon for Sword and Shield will introduce two new legendary Pokémon, one for each of the two titles: Zacian and Zamazenta. The duo is reminiscent of the Legendary Beasts (Raikou, Entei, and Suicune) from the Johto region.
- Zacian is the signature legendary Pokémon for Pokémon Sword. Its type is unknown but it seems to be an extravagant wolf with a sword in its mouth. Based on its appearance, it could end up being a mix of Fairy/Steel-type.
- Zamazenta is the signature legendary Pokémon for Pokémon Sword. Its type is unknown, but it also looks like a wolf with shield-like fur. It might also be a mix of Fairy/Steel-type, judging from its appearance.
Pokémon for Sword and Shield: Regional forms
For the first time in the series’ history, Pokémon for Sword and Shield will redesign a few classic Pokémon to appear alongside their Gen 8 counterparts. These updates will be referred to as the “Galarian Forms,” and they’ll be different types than their original forms and have all-new move sets.
- Weezing will look like two smoke stacks (or bongs, depending on who you ask) and will be a Poison/Fairy-type in Galar.
- Zigzagoon will have black and white fur instead of its original brown and white color scheme. It will also be Dark and Normal-type, instead of just Normal like pervious games.
- Linoone is Zigzagoon’s first evolution. It will also have black and white fur, along with the same Dark/Normal type as Galarian Zigzagoon.
- Ponyta will seemingly also have a Galarian form. During the 24-hour Pokémon Sword and Shield stream the viewers caught a glimpse of a never-before-seen redesign of Fire-type horse Pokémon. Its Galarian form might end up being a Fairy-type based on its new unicorn horn and luxurious mane and tail. Nintendo has yet to confirm the name of the creature seen on the stream.
Pokémon for Sword and Shield’: Every other Pokémon
Here are 15 more new Pokémon coming to the Galar region in November:
- Corviknight is a Flying/Steel-type raven Pokémon.
- Drednaw is a Water/Rock-type snapping-turtle Pokémon.
- Gossifleur is a Grass-type flower Pokémon.
- Eldegoss is the first evolution of Gossifleur that is also Grass-type but looks more like a cotton bloom.
- Wooloo is a Normal-type sheep Pokémon.
- Impidimp is a Dark/Fairy-type Pokémon based on mythological imps.
- Alcremie is a Fairy-type Pokémon that is an anthropomorphic dollop of whipped cream.
- Yamper is an Electric-type Corgi Pokémon.
- Duraludon is a Steel/Dragon-type Pokémon that looks like a mix of an airplane wing and a steel tank.
- Morpeko is a two-sided Pokémon, which can switch between a Electric and Dark types based on how hungry it is. When it’s full, it’ll be a smiling electric gerbil. When it’s hangry it turns into a mean, dark rodent.
- Rolycoly is a Rock-type Pokémon that looks like a sentient lump of coal.
- Cramorant is a Flying/Water-type Pokémon based on a cormorant.
- Polteageist is a Ghost-type Pokémon that is a possessed teapot.
- Sifetch’d is a Fighting-type Pokémon that is evolution of the classic Pokémon Farfetch’d. It will only be found in Pokémon Sword.
- Obstagoon: is a Dark/Normal-type Pokémon that is the final evolution of Zigzagoon.
Pokémon Sword and Shield arrives on on November 15 for Nintendo Switch.