These Holiday Plants Are Worse For Your Dog Than Poinsettias

Pup-proof accordingly.

Flickr / jdlasica

Holiday decorations can really make the season bright — but some seemingly innocuous plants can be dangerous for fur babies around the house. Poinsettias have a particularly bad reputation, but other holiday plants can be much more of a hazard for pets, especially dogs.

While cats are carnivores and therefore less likely to eat a plant, dogs go to town on pretty much anything. Unfortunately, this puts them at risk for eating something that’s not great for their digestive systems.

For those looking to pup-proof around the house, here’s a list of holiday plants and their potential affects on your dog:

Flickr / Marit & Toomas Hinnosaar


Poinsettias are often thought of as deadly for dogs, but that’s not exactly true. The flowers can certainly make a dog vomit, but they taste extremely bitter, so it’s unlikely your pooch would eat more than a few bites. According to PetMD, a dog would have to ingest a lot of poinsettias in order to actually get poisoned.

Flickr / coniferconifer


Though it’s a holiday favorite, mistletoe can be pretty dangerous for dogs.

“[Holly and miseltoe], along with their berries, have a greater toxicity level than the poinsettia,” according to PetMD.

If you have pets, it might be worth skipping out on this plant, or hanging it from a very high place. The Pet Poison Hotline says mistletoe can cause seizures and even death.

Flickr / MICOLO J Thanx 4, 3.3m views


Holly’s a problem for a few reasons. For one thing, it’s spiky and can poke your dog’s mouth. But what’s more concerning is the fact that it contains saponins, methylxanthines, and cyanogens, which can really upset a pup’s stomach.

Flickr / jhilla


This plant is definitely beautiful — but dangerous. In fact, it might be the biggest threat of all the holiday household plants. The lycorine and phenanthridine alkaloids in an amaryllis’s leaves, stems, and bulbs can cause dogs to suffer abdominal pain, vomiting, and even respiratory depression.

If you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic, be sure to call the Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 855-764-7661. Have a safe and happy holiday!

Related Tags