A ton of Batman movies are coming to Netflix in January, but there’s a catch. Technically, it really is just “Batman” movies, as Christopher Nolan’s acclaimed The Dark Knight and the follow-up Dark Knight Rises are not included on the list of new titles. Don’t worry, there are still plenty of Batman movies in the streaming service’s utility belt, though.
Netflix released its master list of what movies and shows it is adding to its ever-changing library in the first month of 2018, and Caped Crusader is all over it — with those unfortunate exceptions. Batman Begins, the first movie in Nolan’s trilogy starring Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman, is on the list, as are all the Batman movies in the initial series that kicked-off with Tim Burton’s 1989 Batman.
Animated Batman movies, the recent Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and the amazingly, cheesy 1966 Batman flick starring the late Adam West, will also not be streaming in January. If it sounds like we’re just focusing on the Batman movies that aren’t on the list, it’s because there is just a lot of Batman out there. Here’s what fans of the World’s Greatest Detective can binge in January starting on New Year’s Day.
- Batman: Tim Burton’s moody 1989 flick starring Michael Keaton at Bruce Wayne and Jack Nicholson as the Joker was a serious and well-liked superhero movie well before the genre became ubiquitous.
- Batman Returns: The weirder, darker sequel to the first Batman starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito as Catwoman and the Penguin, respectively.
- Batman Forever: The third movie in the series, starring Jim Carrey starred as the Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, and Val Kilmer taking over as Batman. This is where things started to go off the rails.
- Batman & Robin: Listen, people hate on this movie, but it’s actually perfect, in that it is exactly what it sets out to be: corny, stupid, and fun. Starring George Clooney as Bats, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze, and Uma Thurman as an especially vampy Poison Ivy, this flick’s worth another shot if you’re in the right mood.
- Batman Begins: Christopher Nolan’s first Batman movie is the only film in the trilogy that’ll be streaming on Netflix, but it’s a pretty exceptional origin story.
The only other superhero movie coming to Netflix in January is Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie.