The next installment of the Alien franchise will begin its terrifying journey in a little over a year after the voyage of the USCSS Covenant concludes. Ridley Scott has said that the next movie in the series will start filming in “14 months.”
On Tuesday, Ridley Scott told IGN that a script for a follow-up to Covenant is already being written, and that he plans to start shooting the sequel film in a little over a year. The director also alluded to events of the film, saying things are “wide open” for a sequel.
After Alien: Covenant hits theaters, audiences will terrified of xenomoprhs again and possibly really pumped to read some Percy Shelley poetry. (Mild spoiler alert: poetry knowledge is a big deal in the movie.) But, like Prometheus before it, Covenant will also leave fans wanting to know what happens in the next installment. Previously, Scott had made it sound like the next move — tentatively titled Alien: Awakening — would happen before Covenant, but now this no longer seems to be the case.
There also might be Alien movies for a good long while. In the same interview, Scott says he’ll keep making sequels as long as they are up to his standards. “If the sequel’s good, then it’s worthwhile,” he said.
Alien: Covenant opens in wide release on May 19.