If you’re still playing Pokémon GO, then here’s some great news: Niantic just added 80 new Pokémon from Pokémon Gold and Silver to the mobile game. Now’s your chance to finally catch that Dunsparce you’ve always wanted!
Niantic announced that it would finally be bringing Generation 2 Pokémon to the game earlier this week, and on Thursday, the update went live. It’s technically not the first time critters from Johto have graced the game — but fans hated Niantic’s half-assed, egg-based implementation of just a handful of Gen 2 Pokémon.
The new update — which you can currently find in the app store — follows a smaller earlier one with increased customization options. In addition to brand-new evolutionary chains, the update also unlocks new evolved forms of Pokémon that were originally introduced in Gen 1, like Onix’s final form Steelix, or the Eeveelutions Espeon and Umbreon.
The update also boasts gender-specific looks for existing Pokémon (a feature that the main games didn’t introduce until well after Gen 2), new items, encounter methods, and bonus candies when users catch evolved Pokémon.
Go out an catch ‘em all. (The competition probably isn’t going to be as stiff this time around).
Here are the full update notes:
- Over 80 additional Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region can be caught.
- Gender-specific variations of select Pokémon can be caught.
- Added new encounter mechanics.
- Added Poké Ball and Berry selection carousels to the encounter screen.
- Added two new Berries.
- Added new avatar outfit and accessory options.
- Added new night-mode map and encounter music.
- Added bonus Candies for catching Evolved Pokémon.
- Implemented Apple Watch connection stability improvement.
- Various bug fixes.
- Minor text fixes.