Mon Mothma’s role in the original Star Wars trilogy mostly involved her looking regal and outlining the Rebellion’s plans. Most casual Star Wars fans, though, don’t know that Mon Mothma was actually the leader of the Rebel Alliance. This woman raised hell, and she did it all while keeping her whites pristine as can be.
Mothma has been portrayed by Caroline Blakiston (Return of the Jedi) and Genevieve O’Reilly (Revenge of the Sith and, soon, Rogue One). Although O’Reilly originally had lines in Revenge of the Sith, the scenes were cut but later released as part of the DVD extras. It’s expected that Rogue One will include the largest role Mon Mothma has ever played in the Star Wars films. She will, undoubtedly, continue to kick ass and remain cool as a cucumber.
Here are eight need-to-know facts about Mon Mothma before you see Rogue One, from her role in the film to her fate after the Rebellion won in Return of the Jedi.
8. She directly orders Jyn Erso to steal the plans to the Death Star.
7. The Rebel Alliance was created because Mon Mothma and Bail Organa united stray rebels from across the galaxy.
6. After Organa’s death at the hands of the Empire, Mothma became the sole leader of the Rebellion.
5. Before the Empire, Mothma was the youngest senator to ever enter the Senate of the Galactic Republic.
4. Mon Mothma acted as Princess Leia’s political tutor.
3. And it’s because she was besties with Padmé Amidala, whom she looked after when the young senator from Naboo arrived at the Senate.
2. Mothma and Padmé had the ultimate #DemocracySquad with Bail Organa back in the day.
1. Mon Mothma was elected as the first Chancellor of the New Republic after the fall of the Empire because she’s cool and capable AF.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens in theaters December 16.