The 3 best magnetic key holders for cars
We only recommend products we love and that we think you will, too. We may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was written by our Commerce team.
Getting locked out of your car or home is an incredible inconvenience, but the best magnetic key holders for cars can help you avoid calling a locksmith if — OK, when — it happens. They tuck under your car (or any other magnetic spot) and hide a set of spare keys that you can easily access in case you get locked out. Available in a variety of sizes, these key holders are ready to conceal your spares for when you need them most.
How to choose a magnetic key holder for your car
While there aren’t too many variations on the trusty magnetic key holder, there are a few specs to look for to find the perfect one for you and your vehicle:
- Make sure the magnetic key holder you choose has the interior dimensions necessary to accommodate the size of key or keys you’d like to store. From standard metal keys to keys with large plastic fobs, there should be a size that will work for you.
- Many magnetic key holders have a simple slide closure, but for extra security, consider one with a combination lock.
- If you’re in search of key holders for multiple cars or hiding places, think about getting a multipack so you can meet all of your key hiding needs in one fell swoop.
Shop the best magnetic key holders for cars
In a hurry? These are the best magnetic key holders for cars:
- A budget-friendly set of magnetic key holders: Ram-Pro Plastic Hide-A-Key Holders (Set of 3)
- A magnetic key holder in 3 large sizes: Lucky Line Jumbo Magnetic Key Hider
- A magnetic key holder with a combination lock: Kidde AccessPoint Locking Magnetic Key Case
The best magnetic key holders might just be the car accessories you need — and they’re ready to help you avoid being locked out or needing a pricey visit from a locksmith.
1. A budget-friendly set of magnetic key holders
- Comes in a budget-friendly set of three
- Has a small key compartment
This budget-friendly set of three magnetic key holders is perfect for storing medium-sized keys under multiple vehicles (or elsewhere). They’re made of plastic, ensuring they don’t rust, and have a waterproof sliding cover to keep your items protected.
One reviewer wrote: “This is large enough to fit a car key in. The magnet is strong it stayed exactly where I put it. I highly recommend this product!”
Interior dimensions: 3 x 1.38 x 0.25 inches | Combination lock: No | Number of key holders per pack: 3
2. A magnetic key holder in 3 large sizes
- Available in three sizes
- Not all sizes have exact interior dimensions listed
This magnetic key holder is available in three sizes, each of which are a great fit for larger keys or multiple average-sized keys. Just note that the interior of each holder has a small cutout at the bottom reducing the width a bit and the dimensions listed below are the key holders at their widest. In addition to being magnetic, the key holders also come with a screw in case you’d like to permanently mount it.
One reviewer wrote: “Product does exactly what it states. I put my keys into case and attached it magnetically to bottom of my car completely out of site. The magnets are strong enough that it stays intact.”
Interior Dimensions: Not specified for Large size; 3.25 x 1.75 x 0.56 inches (Extra Large); 3.88 x 1.75 x 0.75 inches (Jumbo) | Combination lock: No | Number of key holders per pack: 1
3. A magnetic key holder with a combination lock
- Has a combination lock for extra security
- Has a relatively small interior compartment
For a bit of extra security, consider this locking magnetic key holder, equipped with a three-number combination lock. It has a removable bottom and is made of weather-resistant plastic. It also has removable foam inside to keep keys from rattling around and has an attachment point for a lanyard, just in case.
One reviewer wrote: “Awesome! I used this for our road trip. We drove down many gravel and dirt roads, this stayed on our whole trip!! It felt so good to have the car back up key for a just in case emergency.”
Interior Dimensions: 2.8 x 1.36 x 0.54 (as reported by one reviewer in a Q&A) | Combination lock: Yes | Number of key holders per pack: 1
About The Recommender
Rachel Dunkel is a commerce writer whose work regularly appears on sites including Bustle, Elite Daily, Mic, and The Zoe Report. She has four years of experience in sourcing, testing, and recommending products in a wide range of categories, including tech and travel products.