'Deadpool 2' Post-Credits Scene: Here's How Critics are Reacting
Critics got their first look at Deadpool 2 on Thursday night, and before the official reviews come out the week it opens on May 18, initial reactions in the minutes after the early screenings finished are praising the post-credits scene as one for the ages.
- “I didn’t like the first Deadpool. Deadpool 2 beat me into submission until I was actually enjoying myself. Also it features my now favorite post credit scene,” commented entertainment writer Mike Ryan, adding: “I’m still legit shocked that I enjoyed this movie.”
- “Just saw Deadpool 2. Safe to say it features the best post credits scene EVER. I’m still recovering,” commented People writer Nigel M. Smith.
- Kate Erbland, film editor at IndieWire, says, “it earns the hell out of that R rating. And the cameos. And the post-credit scenes.”
- “The post-credits scene at the end of Deadpool 2 is so great,” writes Ben Dreyfuss of Mother Jones.
- “Happy to report Deadpool 2 is a lot of fun and had me laughing beginning to end. Stuff after the credits is awesome. All the people added to the film were perfectly cast. Avoid spoilers. Always makes it a better experience,” tweeted Steve Weintraub of Collider.
Here’s what else critics liked about Deadpool 2:
“I didn’t absolutely love the first Deadpool, but man, Deadpool 2 does the trick for me. Hilarious when it needs to be, surprisingly touching when it needs be (not in that way, gross), and is kinda the best X-Men-universe flick in forever. Also: DOMINO RULEZ,” remarked Brian Truitt of USA Today.
Pruitt wasn’t the only one to remark on the film’s surprisingly touching or sweet side, either. Filmmaker Sammy Paul also noticed the tone: “Oh man, Deadpool 2 is really good fun. All the hilarity and self-awareness of the first film but it also manages to be quite subversive and weirdly sweet.” Paul took a moment to shout-out the post-credit scene: “Thoroughly enjoyed myself (also you’re gonna wanna stick around for those post-credits).”
It’s not a game-changing super hero movie, no matter how much its fans (or critics) want it to be, though, opined film critic Kevin McFarland: “Once again, a very functional wheel. Once again, will be misconstrued as breaking said wheel. Fun time in a theatre though!”
“Invited to the private screening for Deadpool 2, leaving with my ribs aching AF from laughing so hard!,” said Jen from Brooklyn, a host on NYC radio station HOT 97.
So, is Deadpool 2 better than the original? It’s the feeling among these people who saw the movie on Thursday:
“Liked Deadpool 2 way more than the first. Smarter, funnier, and with 100% more Ricky Baker,” commented Bustle movies editor Rachel Simon.
“I liked Deadpool 2 more than the first one (which I wasn’t a huge fan of). Slow to start but all the stuff with X-Force and Cable (and Peter!) works surprisingly well,” commented Matt Singer.
And Inverse’s own Eric Francisco offered this on Thursday after seeing Deadpool 2: “It’s a fucking riot. Anyone who doesn’t have fun watching it is a cop.”
Deadpool 2 opens on May 18. (Remember to stay after the credits.)