There has been an awakening in physical media. Have you felt it? Even though the digital version of The Force Awakens is available to buy on April 1, the release of the newest Star Wars Blu-ray is mere days away, and though you’ve already figured out which retailer exclusive version to buy, Star Wars fans might want a little glimpse of what the most coveted home video release to come along in more than 12 parsecs will be all about.
The official Star Wars YouTube channel and different outlets have been dropping exclusive trailers and clips all week that give some brief hints of what’s to come when the disc is released on April 5. The majority of them are from Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey, the making-of documentary directed by longtime Star Wars behind the scenes collaborator Laurent Bouzereau that recently had its premiere at SXSW.
You know when your making-of documentary has a film festival premiere it’s kind of a big deal. The clips below, starting with this first one about Rey, featuring Daisy Ridley’s insanely good audition, is from the Cinematic Journey doc.
And here’s another one, this time showing John Boyega having the same reaction every other Star Wars fan had to seeing the Millennium Falcon for the first time again. Bonus points for director J.J. Abrams’ “I told you you were in Star Wars” comment.
And here’s the new most charming dude in the galaxy, Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron.
Lastly, here’s actor Adam Driver and Abrams talking about Kylo Ren’s vulnerability and famous heritage.
Here are all of the other clips so far from the upcoming Blu-ray release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens:
- This short video is from the special feature called Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight, which will “go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.”
- This video above is from The Story Awakens: The Table Read, which is about how “Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.”
- Here’s a tease from ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force about how special effects wizards created Lupita Nyong’o’s character, Maz Kanata.
- Deleted scenes, including Kylo Ren scoping out the Falcon, are coming.
If those don’t get you interested, here are the other features that can be found on the home video release:
Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe
Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life
John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens
– An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects
Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others
April 5 can’t come soon enough.