Dope Space Pics
2020 was a big year for space.
We saw close-up pictures of asteroids, history-making rocket launches, beautiful planetary nebula, and more.
Here are 20 of the coolest space images of 2020.
19. Images of Arrakoth, a Kuiper Belt Object orbiting 4 billion miles from Earth, helped scientists understand how this strange object formed.
18. NASA's Juno spacecraft illuminates bright streaks of haze in Jupiter's atmosphere.
16. As it approached the Sun in April, comet ATLAS disintegrated. Hubble captured this image of the comet's pieces.
JAXA/U. Tokyo/Kochi U./Rikkyo U./Nagoya U./Chiba Inst. Tech./Meiji U./U. Aizu/AIST
15. The Japanese Space Agency collected samples from an asteroid in 2020. Here's a close-up image of the asteroid Ryugu as the Hayabusa2 spacecraft descended.
14. On May 31st, SpaceX's Crew Dragon successfully docked with the International Space Station — carrying the first crew to fly on a commercial spacecraft.
13. Hubble snapped this picture of a glittery galaxy, KK 246, resides in a region of empty space called the Local Void.
VCG/Visual China Group/Getty Images
12. People in Central Africa, the Southern Arabian Peninsula, Pakistan, Northern India, and South Central China got to enjoy a total solar eclipse in June.
11. Astronauts on the International Space Station captured this picture of the aurora borealis shimmering over the Indian Ocean.
9. NASA launched the Mars rover Perseverance on July 30.
NASA, ESA, and E. Wheatley (STScI)
8. The Andromeda Galaxy's halo stretches so far that it's actually bumping into the Milky Way.
6. This Hubble images shows off the NGC 5643 galaxy in the Lupus constellation.
5. In October, NASA's OSIRIS-REx mission punched the asteroid Bennu to kick up rocks and dust. The craft will bring the material back to Earth.
4. No, this isn't the Eye of Sauron. It's the most detailed image of a sunspot ever taken.
3. This illustration shows how 40,000 stars in the Milky Way will move across the sky in the next 400,000 years.
2. On December 7, SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket lifted off for its 100th successful launch.
Read more space stories here.